Thursday, January 15, 2009

Response to Intro

I. The Conversational Element (xxiv-xxv). Would you describe yourself as someone who often feels ambivalent about issues? Are you the kind of person who has lots of doubts? Do you make a habit of examining your doubts?

Whether I am ambivalent on an issue depends on what the issue is. There are certain issues that are very emotional to me and cause a strong reaction and their are others where it really does not matter. One example of this would be if I were discussing dinner plans. I would NOT insist on eating at a certain restaurant.

II. Honesty, Confession, and Privacy (xxv-xxvii). Would you describe yourself as a private person or do you tend to be more of an "open book"?

Again the context of the situation is key in gaging my level of openness. To an acquaintance, I would reveal less about myself (unless I was asked a specific, direct question.) If I were simply writing an essay, the focus of the essay would determine the level of intimacy.

III. The Contractions and Expansions of the Self (xxvii-xxix). How comfortable do you feel about talking about your flaws or things you've done in the past that embarrass you now? Are proud of your knowledge of a particular subject?

I feel quite comfortable talking about my flaws as they can be funny and hopefully helpful to other people going through the same thing.

IV. The Role of Contrariety (30-31). How comfortable do you feel expressing an opinion that you know others will disagree with?

I try to not say things just to get a rise out of someone, or to disagree simply to disagree, but if I do find something that does not pertain to me, I will try to speak out.

V. The Problem of Egotism (31-32). Do you worry that writing about your personal life in detail is a sign of egotism or vanity?

I guess that I assume that wht I have to say is interesting enough to people that they want to hear it. So that is a form of vainity that I have about myself and what I what I way about myself and in my writing.

VI. Cheek and Irony (32-33). How comfortable do you feel making fun of yourself? How do you feel about mocking other people?

I feel pretty comfortable about making fun of myself as I know that their are alot of things that I do that are embarassing. I do not feel as comfortable making fun of others unless I know them well because I would not want to be teasing them and they actually get their feelings hurt. However, if I am close to them then I do feel more comfortable picking on them.

VII. The Idler Figure (33-35). How do you feel about wasting time? Are you the kind of person who likes to have a strict schedule that you can stick to or do you prefer not to have a schedule at all and let things happen spontaneously?

I have a very limited amout of time as I am employed full time and am also a full time student. Almost every night when I get off of work, my boyfriend Brian comes over and we just catch up on how each other's days were. This is my down-time, as I can relax at home with someone that I love. We both have the weekends off, and usually we watch a movie on Saturday or Sunday night. It is pretty rare for me to just spend the day alone watching T.V. or reading a book. And in the rare case that this does happen, I find myself craving human interaction after too much of it. I don't think I have ever spent the whole day in bed just being lazy.

Most of my life (Monday to Friday) is highly structured as I have to be at work and school at scheduled times.

VIII. The Past, the Local, and the Melancholy (35-37). Do you often find yourself looking back at past experiences and reflecting on how they shaped the person you are today?

Yes, in more ways than can be expressed.

IX. Questions of Form and Style (37-41). Would you say you feel more comfortable writing narratives or writing arguments or writing reports? Do you like to read texts that take a straight path from A to B or do you prefer to read texts that meander into unexpected places?

Um, I've never really thought about it before. I just try to write my assignments well whatever those are.

X. Quotation and the Uses of Learning (41-42). Would you describe yourself as someone who is well-read? Do you like to quote others in your own writing? Do you like to write about what others have written?

I would never call myself well-read simply because there is way too many books out in the world to read. I woudl only quote someone else's work if I found in inspirational and thought others would enjoy it as well. As afar as writing about what others have written, I am not for sure if you mean a critique or what, so maybe?

XI. The Personal Essay as Mode of Thinking and Being (42-45). Would you describe yourself as someone who is open to a radical change in your life right now?

It really is all about how you define "radical change". For a man who has always worn solid white socks, a radical change could mean getting a pair of navy argyle dress socks. I think our contry as a whole is ready for radical change (i.e. Obama being the 1st African American President) and as a citizen of the U.S. I will be involved in that change to a degree.

Overall, I think change is a slow. gradual process in my life, whether it is radical or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment