Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On Running After One's Hat By: G.K. Chesterton

I read this essay over breakfast this morning, and while I would not go so far as to say that it made my quasi-gourmet spinach and artichoke omlet with bacon, paramasean cheese and a side of toast taste better, it was rather pleasant to read and enjoyable.
Although the essay is written in what I might call high English language (not like Shakespeare, but the author is obviously a proper British genteelman of the late 1800's or early to mid 1900's) it is easy enough to understand the author by his humorous descriptions and characterizations of people and their behaviors.
In one paragraph, the author makes three very contrasting, opposing comparisons-chasing after one's hat, eating, and making love. This genuinely made me smile and pay closer attention the the author and the message he was trying to convey. I saw the overall tone of the essay as whimsical, light hearted, and fun.
The moral is this:Don't take yourself or anything you do too seriously, go back to enjoying life and the simple pleasures in it. When little setbacks occur, take them in stride, and do not overreact.
This is an essay that I should definitely reread after the day that I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment